* Individual results may vary.
Dozens of common skin disorders bring patients to the Platinum Dermatology practice in Ultimo, with psoriasis and skin rashes among the most troubling. These skin conditions cause both physical and emotional pain and, if ignored, can lead to discomfort, infection and ill health.
The world of dermatology has developed many solutions for even the most stubborn skin conditions. We hope this article will give you the information you want to get the help you need and the comfortable skin you deserve.
Platinum Dermatology Talks About Skin Rashes
Skin rashes are commonly due to inflammation and discoloration that changes the way your skin looks. They are a symptom of a problem with your skin or your health.
A rash is defined as an area of the skin where there is
- Small or large red bumps
A rash can be caused by many different triggers including:
- Infections – fungal, viral, bacterial
- Allergy – to medicines or things in the environment
- Irritation – to cosmetic products, cleaning agents, environmental factors
- Insect bites and infestations
- Autoimmune problems
- Nutritional problems
Contact dermatitis is a common cause of rashes. It occurs when skin comes into contact with something that causes an allergic or irritant reaction. Common irritants include wool, fragrances, metals, and cosmetics.
Psoriasis is a problem for people of all ages and races. Psoriasis affects 1-2% of the population. Its primary symptom is a mildly itchy rash of red, scaly skin that commonly appears on
- Outer Elbows
While psoriasis often has a distinctive appearance, the symptoms of psoriasis may appear similar to other skin conditions, and the red inflammation produced by psoriasis can be mistaken for something else. Fortunately, the doctors who are skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology are adept at identifying psoriasis.
Effective Treatment for Psoriasis and Skin Rashes Available
One of our jobs at Platinum Dermatology is to establish the exact nature and name of the skin rash and help our patients navigate the available treatment options. Usually this involves one of the specialist dermatologists writing a prescription for the correct treatment. When the cause of a rash is psoriasis, the experts at Platinum Dermatology work to determine the safest, most effective way to slow cell turnover and heal skin.*
Their options include*:
- Topical Therapy for Psoriasis – Topical therapies with prescription medications including things like tar creams, corticosteroids and Vitamin D analogues can slow cell turnover by suppressing the immune system. This helps reduce inflammation and redness and the itching associated with it.
- Phototherapy for Psoriasis – Also known as UV therapy, this treatment involves exposing the skin to controlled doses of ultraviolet light.
- Medications for Psoriasis – Oral and injected medications are indicated for patients whose psoriasis is severe and/or not responding to other therapies. There is a potential risk of side effects with these medications. They may be used in conjunction with other forms of psoriasis treatment.
Contact Platinum Dermatology for Help with Skin Rashes & Psoriasis
Patients with any kind of rash undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our dermatologists who understand the multiple possible causes of a skin rash. Their skill at swiftly and correctly identifying the cause of a rash helps them find treatments that quickly provide relief for people who are suffering.
If you have questions about psoriasis, or if you’re concerned that your simple rash may not be so simple after all, please contact Platinum Dermatology on 02 8014 6500 or use the contact form on this page to learn how we can help your skin stay healthy from head to toe.
* Individual results may vary.