Being older is something to celebrate, but looking older is less of a reason for cheering. Because while growing old may be a beautiful part of life, the passage of time can cause facial changes that are anything but beautiful.
The skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology understand the desire to look fresh, vibrant, and naturally youthful. That’s why we offer our patients a wide range of cosmetic treatments and regimens designed to
- Tone and firm sagging facial skin
- Erase fine lines and wrinkles
- Repair sun damage
- Add volume to deflated features like cheeks and lips
- Reactivate the skin’s natural wrinkle-fighting mechanisms
The best way to get the upper hand on any problem is to “know it to death.” In this article, you’ll discover exactly what ageing does to the mechanisms of skin health and how that affects your appearance. You’ll also learn how Platinum Dermatology helps men and women conquer visible signs of ageing and which treatments might be perfect for you.
Platinum Dermatology Lists 5 Factors that Contribute to Facial Ageing
The truth is that we all begin to age the moment we are born. Our bodies’ normal physical changes as we age can result in loss of volume (involution), or the progressive degeneration of the skin.
The ravages of time lead to skin problems, such as surface roughness and uneven contours of the face, sometimes called the “hills and valleys” of ageing. Yet there are many other factors that can age our faces, even when we are still relatively young. They include:
- Sun damage
- Weight loss
- Changes in facial muscles and muscular activity
Tell-Tale Signs of Facial Ageing
When it is said that someone looks older than they are, the reference is usually to facial ageing. People in their 30’s and 40’s might look a decade older than their chronological age due to one of these characteristic signs of an ageing face:
- Appearance of tiny blood vessels in the skin, due to thinning of the dermis
- Greater visibility of bony landmarks, like jutting cheekbones or chins due to a loss of facial fat
- Hollowing of the cheek and mouth area due to fat loss
- Deepening of the lines on the sides of the nose (nasolabial folds) due to repeated facial movement
- Jowls developing as the result of a loss of supportive tissue
- Thinning lips due to volume loss
- Pigmentation problems (sun spots) due to sun exposure
- Drooping corners of the mouth due to gravity
- Drooping of the nasal tip
- Decreased support of the lower third of the face
Platinum Dermatology Reviews Top Treatments for Ageing Skin
Cosmetic plastic surgery is not the only game in town when it comes to treating an ageing face. The skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology provide patients with non- and minimally-invasive alternatives that can effectively delay the need for a facelift.*
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections – Perhaps the best known of the cosmetic medicine injectables, these injections use a temporary muscle relaxant to prevent muscles from creating wrinkles when we laugh, frown, or look surprised.
- Injectable Dermal Fillers – Areas of the face that look deflated can be re-plumped with the help of dermal fillers. Soft tissue filler materials work by pushing wrinkle lines outward. They plump up the treatment area – cheeks, lips, and forehead – making skin look fuller, smoother, and more youthful.
- Broadband IPL – Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Therapy uses light to treat superficial skin imperfections. Broadband light therapy is the most advanced version of IPL therapy and is the gold standard for treating hyper-pigmentation due to ageing, sun damage, and environmental stress.
- Chemical Peels – Chemical peels are a quick way to remove dead skin cells, fine lines, darks spots, and other skin imperfections caused by ageing. There are 3 levels of chemical peels. The skin experts at Platinum Dermatology will diagnose your skin colour, texture, level of skin imperfections and elasticity to determine which solution will give you optimal results.
- Radiofrequency microneedling– Designed to address a wide variety of skin concerns, this is an effective skin needling procedure that can help smooth and tighten the complexion by producing new collagen, filling in fine lines and plumping the skin.
Laser Treatments for Facial Rejuvenation at Platinum Dermatology
Laser technology allows us to offer our patients full skin resurfacing to rejuvenate the entire complexion, addressing many of the problems of ageing skin. At our practice, we use the Sciton ProFractional laser to selectively treat tiny areas deep in the skin without affecting the skin’s surface.
With the ProFractional laser, Platinum Dermatology’s skin care experts can stimulate collagen duction where needed, as well as tighten skin and normalise pigmentation.* The areas that are not affected remain healthy and help speed up the healing process and minimise pain.
Platinum Dermatology’s Erbium Resurfacing Laser for Deeper Wrinkles
Erbium laser treatments are less aggressive than CO2 fractional lasers, but more aggressive than non-ablative fractional lasers so they can provide dramatic results. We use our Sciton erbium laser to treat more prominent wrinkles and other conditions that detract from a beautiful complexion.
Erbium laser resurfacing effectively generates a smoother and more youthful complexion. According to some sources, the average improvement on difficult upper lip wrinkles, for example, is 80%.*
Lasers Plus: Total Anti-Ageing at Platinum Dermatology
Laser skin resurfacing treatments work to improve skin tone and colour and give you a radiant complexion. A valuable treatment on its own, we offer it as part of a total skin rejuvenation treatment program at Platinum Dermatology. The treatment package includes:
- ProFractional laser treatment for localised areas of visible ageing – We focus our laser on areas showing signs of age, including problem areas such as the forehead. Patients typically need only four days of downtime before they can face the world again.*
- Erbium Resurfacing for deeper wrinkles and acne scars – Deeper wrinkles and scars are eradicated with erbium skin resurfacing. It also improves the appearance of pigmentation. Approximately seven days of downtime are required.*
- BroadBand Light (BBL) Therapy – This non-invasive, anti-ageing treatment addresses a range of cosmetic concerns, including age spots, sun damage, rosacea, moles, hyperpigmentation, broken blood vessels, and fine lines and wrinkles. BBL Therapy at Platinum Dermatology produces outstanding facial rejuvenation results, with no downtime.*
- High-intensity Ultrasound Skin Tightening – A non-invasive, comfortable lifting and tightening procedure using ultrasound waves to stimulate your own collagen remodelling.
Click here to read more about our laser skin resurfacing treatments.
If you have questions about treatments for ageing skin, contact Platinum Dermatology on 02 8014 6500 or use the contact form on this page to learn how we can help you look naturally youthful and radiant longer.
* Individual results may vary.