*Individual results may vary.
The skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology understand the desire to remove unwanted body hair. Just as importantly, they understand the psychological impact that excess hair can have. Whether on the face or body, unwanted hair can lower self-esteem, causing people to be self-conscious and embarrassed.
It doesn’t have to be that way.
Have your hair removal treatments guided and supervised by the only skin care specialists; dermatologists.
In this article, Platinum Dermatology’s hair removal experts talk about the problem of excess face and body hair, as well as the most effective solutions for this common condition.
Why Excess Facial and Body Hair?
One of the first questions patients of our hair removal services ask is, “Why do I have excess hair?” The answer varies from person to person. Some of the reasons people have unwanted hair on their face and body include:
- Hirsutism – This term is used to describe excess hair in women and is often genetic in origin. Hirsutism manifests in areas usually associated with male hair growth such as the upper lip and chin. The condition may also result in increased hair on a woman’s chest and pubic area.
- Hypertrichosis – This term is used to describe excessive hair growth above and beyond what is normal for the age and race of an individual, regardless of gender. It may exist at birth (congenital hypertrichosis) or arise later in life (acquired hypertrichosis).
How to Temporarily Remove Unwanted Face & Body Hair
There are some do-it-yourself options for dealing with unwanted hair, but risks and side effects make many of them less than ideal. These include:
- Bleaching – While bleaching can make excess hair less obvious, it can also irritate delicate facial skin.
- Depilatory creams – Hair removal creams have a reputation for irritating the skin and causing dermatitis.
- Shaving – Shaving is the most common method of removing unwanted hair. The problem is that it leaves unsightly stubble and may need to be repeated up to twice daily.
- Waxing – A layer of wax is applied to the skin which is pulled off—along with hairs—after it dries. People with sensitive skin may experience an allergic reaction to chemicals in the wax, while everyone is at risk of ingrown hairs and post-waxing breakouts.
Permanent Hair Removal at Platinum Dermatology
Electrolysis is one option for permanent hair removal. In electrolysis, a small electric probe is inserted alongside each hair and a small electrical or heat pulse destroys the hair. This process is time consuming and painful. Electrolysis can deliver permanent hair removal. Over time, however, it can also result in scarring.
Instead of electrolysis, Platinum Dermatology’s skin experts rely on long wavelength lasers and intense pulsed light for the permanent removal of aesthetically unappealing excess hair. Our Sciton laser is a state of the art tool. Its light energy is absorbed by the melanin in hair follicles where it is converted to heat. The heat from the laser injures stem cells in the bulb and bulge of the hair follicle.
After a series of treatments, most patients enjoy lasting, permanent hair reduction.*
Reduction is considered permanent when a significant amount of hair does not return for a period of time longer than the complete growth cycle. After a series of treatments, most hair is permanently removed. However, if hair does regrow it will be finer and lighter than before.
Your skin tone, hair texture and pain threshold are all major factors that the skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology will consider when recommending the best possible treatment for excess body and facial hair.
Click here to read more about our Sciton laser for laser hair removal.
3 Reasons Skin Specialists Prefer BroadBand Laser Hair Removal
With so many options, you may wonder why Platinum Dermatology’s skin experts are so enthusiastic about laser hair removal. There are three very good reasons*:
- BroadBand Light is Precise – lasers selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- BroadBand Light is Fast – A laser can treat an area approximately the size of a ten cent piece every second, destroying unwanted areas in groups, not just one at a time. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute.
- BroadBand Light Has Excellent & Predictable Results – 90% of patients have permanent hair loss after an average of three to five sessions.
Get Help for Unwanted Hair Removal
If you’re unhappy about excess hair on your face or body, contact the skin experts at Platinum Dermatology. You can reach us by phone during business hours on (02) 8014 6500 or use the contact form to learn how we can help you keep your skin healthy, beautiful, and free of unwanted hair.
* Individual results may vary.