Platinum Dermatology Presents Acne Myths & Real Solutions
At Platinum Dermatology, our skincare specialists see many of the 85% of Australians who are troubled by acne. Some need help with active acne vulgaris, while others are struggling to find a solution to
- Atrophic acne scars – indentations in the skin that are deeper than they are wide.
- Hypertrophic scars – thick raised bumps on the skin’s surface.
We’re pleased to let our patients know that here at our practice, acne scarring has met its match. In this article, we take a close look at acne facts and falsehoods, and share the good news about a revolutionary laser treatment that targets acne scarring while leaving surrounding skin undamaged.
Debunked! Dermatologists Blow Up 5 Acne Myths
There is a lot of misinformation floating around about acne. The skin specialists at Platinum Dermatology want to make sure you have the facts:
- Myth #1 – Acne is a Teenager Problem – If only this were true! In fact, acne is a problem for adults of all ages, even in their 50’s. Adult acne is more likely to cause reddish nodules around the mouth and jaw, rather than whiteheads and blackheads on the nose, cheeks and forehead.
- Myth #2 – Chocolate Gives You Skin Bumps – Chocolate, per se, is not the culprit. It’s dairy and sugary substances (key ingredients in milk and white chocolate) that trigger hormonal changes, which may cause skin inflammation in acne-prone people.
- Myth #3 – Sunscreen Aggravates Acne – This is a myth that’s particularly dangerous, as two in three Australians will be diagnosed with skin cancer, often due to sun exposure. The secret, say our dermatologists, is to choose the right sunscreen. Look for products that are oil-free or non-comedogenic, for example the specialist level skin care available at Platinum Dermatology, Aspect Dr.
- Myth #4 – Wash Your Skin Early & Often – Over-washing can worsen acne by over-drying the skin. Our skin care specialists recommend a twice-daily regimen of cleansing, followed by a retinoid cream.
- Myth #5 – You Can “Fix” A Pimple by Squeezing It – No! Picking at your skin and squeezing the goop out of a blemish is the #1 cause of acne scarring. Don’t do it!Consult your dermatologist instead for a safe, lasting solution.
Dermatologists Pick Best Treatment for Acne Scarring
Regardless of the origin of acne, the scarring that may result can be devastating to an individual’s self-esteem. Until quite recently, the only that were available were
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing
- Deep Chemical Peels
Although effective in diminishing the appearance of acne scars, each of these treatments requires a significant amount of downtime for recovery and healing. Busy people—and who isn’t in the 21st Century?—simply couldn’t take time out to have their acne scars treated.
In our quest to help patients reach their aesthetic enhancement goals, Platinum Dermatology now offers profractional laser treatments for acne scars.
Less Pain & More Gain Against Acne Scarring
Unlike its predecessors, a profractional laser gives us the tools to achieve excellent results with less downtime. The laser is effective and extremely precise. With it, dermatologists can treat an individual scar as minimally or aggressively as is needed to achieve the best possible results.
At Platinum Dermatology, we have a Sciton laser suite, the newest and most innovative tool of its kind. With it we achieve the best of all possible acne scarring solutions: incredible results with minimal downtime.
Visit Platinum Dermatology for Solutions to Acne & Acne Scarring
If you have additional questions about treatments for acne and acne scarring or would like help with any skin condition, contact Platinum Dermatology on 02 8014 6500 or use the contact form on this page to learn how we can help.